Thursday, March 28, 2013

Retail Therapy

I've said it once, I'll say it again, I have a slight shopping addiction. When I find items I want to buy (or didn't know I wanted to buy) and then I buy them, I feel a small high. I'm excited and I can't wait to get it home. I could spend all day shopping if I had the money.

My favourite store these days is Value Village. Daycare is my life now and sifting through the junk to find that one great toy that costs 70% - 90% less than it would brand new is the best! And how can I not buy new toys for the kids? The 3 year told me she loved me today and gave me a hug and the 4 year old told me he was going to miss me over the weekend. Such sweet kids!

I don't just buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff. Children's books at Value Village are $0.99 and if you buy 4 you get the 5th free. I look through each and every one trying to find the best books. It's crazy how many I find that I used to own or remember checking out at the library. In the cart they go!

Puzzles, preschool games, dress-up items and complete toy sets are usually the things I'm on the look out for as I slowly check out every single box, bag, and toy on the shelves. Sometimes I even cruise twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. I often do find stuff I missed the first time around.

It's totally worth it though. In two hours I'll fill my cart to the brim and only spend $40. On top of all the money I'm saving from not buying new, I'm apparently helping out the environment and Canadian Diabetes by buying used. (Hooray for reducing waste by reusing unloved toys!)

Shopping is a great excuse to leave the house too. It's hard being inside all day. Walking around, pushing the weight of the cart feels nice. No babies... no talking... no interruptions. Shopping is sort of me time. It's my time to be alone and do something fun. Anytime we need something from the grocery store, I jump at the chance to go! I used to hate Superstore and now I love it. It's where I get breathing space and get to spend money.

Plus, sometimes you overhear funny stuff in the checkout line. Like tonight for example. Some 14 year old was with his friend buying swim trunks and recounting the tale of how a girl he met online on Facebook drove 3 hours to get to his house and when she did his parents were already at work, so he skipped school and did her in his room. Her head kept hitting the headboard and she was saying, "uh, uh, uh,"and it was cool.

It was very hard to keep my composure and not burst out laughing. The cashier and I had a laugh at his expense when they went away because I told her everything I heard.

These are all the reasons I love shopping and how retail therapy makes my life complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment