Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Rice Cakes

I made some rice cakes this afternoon. I adapted the recipe from Robert Rose's "Rice Cakes With Tomato Puree." I made the original recipe once, and it was pretty good, but this time I took a few short cuts and made it less fancy.

1 cup stock
1 cup minute rice
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup grated marble cheese
2 tbls parmesean cheese
1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, and dried parsley

Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Cook the rice in the stock according to package directions
Let the rice cool slightly
Add the rest of the ingredients, starting with the egg, and combine together until well mixed
Using a 1/4 measuring cup, form cakes and space evenly on prepared baking sheet.
Bake 10 minutes, flip, and bake another 10 minutes or until browned.

The original recipe from the book says it can be served with tomato soup and a salad for a complete meal. I didn't have any soup or salad. I just chowed down. It was a delicious snack! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I wish I would have flattened them a bit more and tomato puree for dipping would have been nice. The recipe is supposed to make 10, but I only got 7 cakes out of it. I didn't really measure the cakes too terribly accurately though.


While searching for a link to the original recipe, since my recipe came from a physical book, I found Rose Reisman's Blog and there is a copy of the recipe there. She made a couple minor adjustments to the recipe, but it's essentially the same. The picture she used is even the same as my book.

If you're looking for an easy appetizer, or a light lunch, give this recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment